Courageous Sailing Center
Pier 4, Charlestown Navy Yard
Boston, MA 02129
View their website
Average Base Cost
Average base cost for a Courageous Sailing Center wedding is calculated by figuring a 125-person guest list on a Saturday night. Transportation to venue, entertainment, decorations, additional rentals, valet, DJ, and photography are not included. Average price includes gratuity and state sales tax. Price is rounded up to the nearest thousand.
*Prices subject to change
How it Breaks Down
Facility Rental Fee:
- Daytime weddings:
- 1 p.m. to sunset
- Nighttime weddings:
- 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on weekdays; 11 p.m. on weekends
*Note: Sunset in summer is usually from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
The fee includes the cost and procurement of a one-day event license as well as access to and use of the event space, which is about 10,000 square feet at the end of Pier 4.
- In addition to the site fee, Courageous Sailing requires a $500 security deposit, refundable assuming the site has been cleaned, the rentals have been removed, and the trash has been appropriately disposed off-site.
- The cost of renting the tent and any other accessories (tables, chairs, extra lights) is not included in the pier usage fee (please see that note, below). The full price of hosting an event on the pier also includes the cost of any additional vendors, including the tent rental, accessories (tables, chairs, etc.) rentals, catering, bartending, bathroom rentals, etc. Since the space is outside, the majority of events require a tent.
Food/Beverage: Courageous Sailing does not provide in-house catering. A list of preferred vendors can be found here.
- Courageous Sailing’s tent vendor, PEAK Event Services, can be reached at (781) 729-4000 for a quote.
- Dave’s Septic Service can provide multiple options for mobile toilets.
- *Please note that while Courageous Sailing is happy to provide introductions to preferred and experienced vendors, they do not benefit from specific vendor choices or receive any compensation beyond the pier usage fee. All arrangements must be made directly with vendors.
Space Type: All space is outdoors
Size: 200 – 300 guests seated; 500 guests standing
Bridal Suite: No
Parking: Many options
Food Service Type: Your choice
How Will Grandma Get There? The venue is located in historic Charlestown (the oldest neighborhood in Boston) and is just 15 minutes from Boston Logan International Airport. The venue is close (about a 10-minute drive) to several 4-star hotels, including the Kimpton Marlowe Hotel.
Party On! Events can go until 10 p.m. on weekdays, and 11 p.m. on weekends
The Courageous Sailing Center Report
Located on Pier 4 in the historic Charlestown Navy Yard, the Courageous Sailing Center is surrounded by historical landmarks, views of the Boston Harbor, and the city skyline. Weddings and other events — which are limited to just 10 evening and 10 daytime ones each year — also support Courageous Sailing’s not-for-profit programs.
Woman Getting Married Says
I looooove weddings on the water with an amazing view, but I do worry about locations such as this one that are so reliant on a tent. The venue is great if you end up with a beautiful sunny day, but like most tent-only options, your experience completely changes if it starts raining. I would talk to the venue (and a planner who has worked here before) about what your options are and how you can work around any inclement weather. Also keep in mind you will have to bring in practically everything to this venue, from the tent to the restrooms and lighting. While that gives you a lot of freedom (and again, you can’t beat the views) I would definitely scope out the space first and see how you would feel if it rained (which is advice I would give you no matter which venue you’re seeing).
Other Massachusetts Wedding Vendor and Venues:
The Best Wedding Photographers in Massachusetts
The Nantucket Hotel & Resort
Peabody Essex Museum
Tower Hill Botanic Garden
Gedney Farm in New Marlborough
Boston Public Library
Jacob’s Pillow in Becket
The Wauwinet in Nantucket
Chatham Bars Inn
Alden Castle in Brookline
deCordova Sculpture Park and Museum
All products featured on Woman Getting Married are independently selected by our editors. However, we may earn affiliate revenue on this article and commission when you buy something. Learn more.