Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago
220 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago IL 60611
View their website
Average Base Cost: $39,000
Average base cost for a wedding at the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago (MCA) is calculated by figuring a 150-person guest list on a Saturday night in peak season and an average per person cost of $155/pp for food and beverage. Entertainment, additional decorations and rentals, DJ, parking, and photography are not included. Average price includes service charge and state sales tax. Price is rounded up to the nearest thousand.
*Prices subject to change
How it Breaks Down
Facility Rental Fee:
Based upon a 6-hour rental (6:00 p.m.-midnight)
- May 1 – October 31: Saturday $8,500; Friday/Sunday $6,500
- Off-peak dates November 1 -April 30: $6,500 for Saturdays; $5,500 for Fridays/Sundays
- Entire main floor of the museum for your event, plus the outdoor terrace and sculpture garden for up to a six hour event (6:00 p.m.-midnight).
- Complimentary use of the MCA’s tables, chairs, and lounge furniture inventory (currently inventory can accommodate a seated dinner for up to 200 guests); However please note that wedding ceremony chairs must be rented and are not included in the facility rental fee.
- Complimentary staffed coat check services for your event guests.
- Complimentary indoor backup locations should you choose to host any part of your event outside.
- Self-guided access to the main floor art galleries surrounding the Atrium.
- Building staff including security, housekeeping, and facilities/engineering.
- Representative from the special events department will be present on your event day from start to finish.
Food/Beverage: MCA Catering is the museum’s exclusive catering provider. They are a boutique, custom caterer exclusive to the MCA with their own Executive Chef and catering team working full time on-site at the museum. Estimated base cost per person for food/beverage, bar services, equipment & linen rentals, and staffing starts at $155/per guest and up. Service charge and sales tax are additional.
Note: The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago reserves the right to have a theater performance on premises during rental events- the theater is accessible through a separate entrance/exit, and is on the 1st floor of the MCA. The MCA states the presence of theater guests on the 1st floor while events are taking place on the 2nd floor does not interfere with the 2nd floor event.
Space Type: Inside/Outside
Size: Weddings at the MCA are best suited for groups of 220 or less. This allows for a comfortable indoor/outdoor ceremony location plan, as well as enough room for full seating for dinner at round tables with room for dancing.
Bridal Suite: Yes
Parking: Yes (there is a separate fee)
Food Service Type: Your choice
How Will Grandma Get There? Located near Water Town Place in downtown Chicago, MCA is within walking distance to lots of Chicago hotels, including The Sheraton and The Drake.
Party On! Events can start at 6 p.m. and go through 12 a.m.
Designed by German architect Josef Paul Kleihues and built in 1967, the downtown Chicago museum is one of the world’s largest contemporary art venues. The museum, which showcases art made from 1945 to today, is a four-story 220,000-square-foot building (with 45,000 of gallery space) with a sculpture garden and terrace.
Woman Getting Married Says
If you’re looking for a statement-worthy wedding venue in the heart of downtown Chicago, this should be on your list of places to visit. The Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago is going to be better for larger groups where you’re not really looking for intimate vibe. I would go simple when it comes to the decor, but with the elements you do add I would choose to go BOLD. Use pops of colors like orange, pink, and yellow for flowers and or linens to bring out the modern vibe of the venue and add a lot of impact for not a lot of money!
All products featured on Woman Getting Married are independently selected by our editors. However, we may earn affiliate revenue on this article and commission when you buy something. Learn more.