Chances are if you’ve gone to or been in a wedding at least once in your lifetime, you know how expensive it can be. Between the engagement parties, bridal showers, bachelor and bachelorette parties, and everything in between (not to mention the gifts!) being a wedding guest or attendant can hurt your wallet BIG TIME. But now that you’re in the bridal seat, you’re on the flip side of the equation and are having to ask guests to do the same for you. In case you’re wondering, here’s how much the average wedding guest is spending to come to your wedding according to a recent study by The Knot.
- The average wedding guest is spending $118 on a gift
- Wedding attendants are spending even more, clocking in at $177 for a wedding gift
SEE MORE: Who Hosts the Bridal Shower?
Here’s what they also found:
- 6 in 10 bridesmaids and groomsmen spent $500 or less on the bachelor/bachelorette party (including attire, drinks, meals, activities and party favors, and not including flights, accommodations or gifts).
- On average, men are spending more ($738) than women ($472). And this DOESN’T include attire, drinks, meals, activities and party favors, flights, accommodations or gifts.
- 37 percent of guests require travel and accommodations, and are spending around $321 for each.
- 68 percent of attendants are also traveling, and spending around $342 for travel and $293 for accommodations.
Now we’re not telling you this to make you feel bad….guests want to come to your wedding because they love you and want to help you celebrate your big day. And you would (and most likely have) do it for them. But it does help to keep all these costs in mind when planning your wedding and the other parties surrounding it. For instance, combine the travel for things like your bachelorette party and bridal shower if you can. Or choose to have a cost-effective bachelorette party or bridesmaid dress if you’re wedding party is having to spend more for travel or accommodations. And always be thankful! Your guests and bridesmaids/groomsmen are spending beaucoup bucks on your, so just keep that in mind (we know you are!).