Q: I really haven’t asked my Maid of Honor to do anything yet…I feel bad assigning things to her! What are the traditional Maid of Honor duties? – Sara
A: We know it can feel weird asking for help sometimes, especially when it comes to wedding planning when you feel like you want everything to be exactly the way you want it! But it can be super helpful to have your bridesmaids–and in particular your Maid of Honor–help you with things here and there that will take some things off your plate and let you concentrate on the bigger picture (like finalizing your wedding invitations and figuring out your wedding seating chart.)
Traditionally, Maid of Honor’s act as a messenger to the other bridesmaids, and help arrange the bridesmaid dress shopping and fittings (and make sure each bridesmaid is getting their dresses, accessories, and everything else on time). MOH’s also typically host/co-host the Bridal Shower (though that is entirely up to you. Read more about who should host your bridal shower here), and they also help plan and coordinate the bachelorette party, too.
While those are the bigger responsibilities a MOH often has, here is a list of other things you can ask for their help with as well:
- Attend all pre-wedding parties when she can, and keep a record of all the gifts you receive
- Tell friends where you are registered (or refer them to your wedding website)
- Help address/mail the wedding the invitations
- Assist with any DIY projects you want to tackle
- On your wedding day, make sure all bridesmaids are on time
- Sign the marriage license as a witness along with your groom’s best man
- Help you put on and take off your veil on your wedding day
- Hold your bouquet when you get to the altar
- Give a heartfelt wedding toast
- Make sure people are ON.THAT.DANCE FLOOR.
SEE MORE: 12 Rules EVERY Bridesmaid Should Live By
Most importantly, your MOH should be there to listen to your wedding planning stresses, anxiety, excitement, and continue to be the BFF you know and love!
Tell us, brides! What are you asking your Maid of Honor to do?