100 34th Ave,
San Francisco, CA 94121
View their website
Average Base Cost: $42,000
Our average base cost for a Legion of Honor wedding is calculated by figuring a 150-person guest list on a Saturday evening using the Court of Honor for a wedding ceremony (30 minutes only without a tent) and the Rodin galleries for the reception with a food/beverage catering price of $150/pp. Entertainment, flowers, additional decorations and rentals, transportation, and photography are not included. Price is rounded up to the nearest thousand. Gratuity and sales tax included.
*Prices subject to change
How it breaks down:
Facility Rental Fee:
Rates vary greatly depending on the space and are as follows. They are listed according to their Sunday-Thursday/Friday-Saturday prices.
- Entire building with Court of Honor: $27,000/$29,000 (plus $32,000 tenting fee)
- Court of Honor only: $18,000/$20,000 (plus $32,000 tenting fee)
- Entire building (all indoor reception areas and permanent galleries): $17,000/$19,000
- Multi-level reception (all indoor reception areas): $13,000/$15,000
- Rodin galleries: $10,000/$12,000
- Terrace level with first hour in Rodin galleries: $11,000/$13,000
- Terrace level only (Café, Café Terrace, and Hall of Antiquities): $7,000/$9,000
- Rodin gallery 10 ceremony*: $1,500 (earliest start time is 6:30)
- Court of Honor ceremony*: $750 (earliest start time is 6:30)
- Balustrade lawn ceremony*: $500 (earliest start time is 6)
- *Assuming half hour ceremony time; must be combined with another event space
Important Note: If you have scheduled a Court of Honor Ceremony and it is raining the day of your event, you may hold your ceremony in the Gunn Theater at no additional fee. If you have scheduled a balustrade lawn ceremony and it is raining the day of your event, you may hold your ceremony in the Gunn Theater for a rental fee of $750.
- Dressing Room after 5:30PM (Backstage Area of the Gunn Theater), $500.
- Additional Hours for Café / Patio / Terrace Hallway, $1,500/hour.
- Additional Hours for Entire Building Rental, $3,000/hr.
- Special Exhibition Viewing – first hour, $2,000.
- Special Exhibition Viewing – entire event, $4,500.
- Zone Docents – For Special Exhibition Galleries. Includes 2 hour shift with end time no later than 9:00pm, $160.00 per docent
- Zone Docents – For Permanent Collection Galleries. Includes 2 hour shift with end time no later than 9:00PM, $110 per docent, $85 each additional docent.
- One Docent suggested per 100 guests.
- Curatorial Tours – For Special Exhibition Galleries, subject to availability. One hour concurrent with event time, $1,000.
- Curatorial Tours – For Permanent Collection Galleries, subject to availability. One hour concurrent with event time, $750.
- Museum Store Open (fee will be waived with $800 in purchases), $200.
- Dumpster – a dumpster is required for all events with 400+ guests, $500.
- Terrace Tenting Fee: This fee may be charged per 8 hour day for installation and removal of Full or Partial Patio Tent. This fee is separate from the tent rental, $1,500.
- Court of Honor Additional Set-up Fee: 8 hour set-up day in tent, $2,500.
- Court of Honor Tent – Additional Onsite Days: Additional days of tent onsite, no set-up allowed, $500.00
- Audio Visual Services – Please contact Facility Rental Manager for pricing, $500.00 minimum.
Vendors: Outside vendors are allowed, however caterers must be from an approved list. Caterers on the list include McCalls Catering and Events, Taste Catering, and Paula LeDuc Fine Catering.
- Event space for 4 hours
- 2 additional hours for load-in
- 2 additional hours for breakdown
- Museum security for the event
- An engineer
- Custodial services
- A museum liaison
- Coat check room (attendant can be arranged for separately via the catering company)
Space Type: Inside/Outside depending on the space:
- Outdoor ceremony space: Balustrade Lawn or the Court of Honor
- Indoor ceremony space: Rodin Gallery 10 or the Gunn Theater
- Outdoor reception space: Court of Honor(tented) and the Terrace (with Café)
- Indoor reception space: Rodin Galleries, Terrace Level (Café + Terrace)
- Entire building with Court of Honor: 500 (in tented COH)
- Court of Honor only: 500 (in tented COH)
- Entire Building: 220 (in Café)
- Rodin Gallery 10: 130; All 3 Galleries (8, 10, 12): 225
- Terrace Level: 300 (including tented patio)
- Café: 220 (seated dinner indoors)
- Terrace Café: 160 (seated dinner w/dance floor)
- Gunn Theater: 316
Bridal Suite: Yes, but if using after 5:30 pm a $500 fee is charged
Parking: Yes, parking on-site is complimentary
How Will Grandma Get There? The best nearby hotels are in downtown San Francisco, which is a 20 minute drive from the venue. The Fairmont, Hilton Union Square and Nikko Hotel are great options.
Party On! Earliest start time is 6:00 pm and the latest end time is 1:00 a.m.
Inspired by the French Pavilion at San Francisco’s Panama Pacific International Exposition in 1915, Alma de Bretteville Spreckels had the Legion of Honor built as a gift to San Francisco in 1924 to commemorate the Californian soldiers of World War I. The Beaux-Arts-style museum is located in San Francisco’s Lincoln Park, with views of the Pacific Ocean, Golden Gate Bridge and the San Francisco skyline. The museum features art that spans over 4,000 years, including European paintings, decorative arts, and sculptures such as Auguste Rodin’s The Thinker.
Woman Getting Married Says:
Be still my heart! This San Francisco wedding venue might be my favorite in the city. Who wouldn’t want to get married surrounded by Rodin sculptures?! If I had the budget I would rent out the entire museum (just as long as I avoided the tenting fees) but even without the whole building just doing the Court of Honor setup for a 30-minute ceremony (no tent fees apply) and the Rodin galleries would be good enough for me. I’d love to see them offer a more simplified rental fee structure and include more items for the cost, but overall even for a high-budget venue this one is hard to beat.
All products featured on Woman Getting Married are independently selected by our editors. However, we may earn affiliate revenue on this article and commission when you buy something. Learn more.