The Green Building
452 Union Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231
View their website
Average Base Cost: $34,000
Average base cost for a Green Building wedding is calculated by figuring a 125-person guest list on a Saturday night using their regular season rental fees and an average catering cost of $150/pp. Transportation to venue, entertainment, additional decorations, DJ, and photography are not included. Average price includes gratuity and state sales tax. Price is rounded up to the nearest thousand.
How it Breaks Down
Facility Rental Fee: The venue rental rates are broken down as follows:
**Need wedding planning advice? Get a 30-minute Zoom wedding planning session with me! Find out how.**
- April – June, Sept/Oct:
- Friday/Saturday – $11,000
- Sunday – $10,400
- Mon – Thurs – $7,300
- March, Jul/Aug, Nov/Dec
- Friday/Saturday – $10,400
- Sunday – $9,800
- Mon – Thurs $6,700
- Friday/Saturday – $9,800
- Sunday – $9,200
- Mon – Thurs $6,100
- All day space usage (load-in can begin at 9am and the party must be over by 2am)
- Access to the 3,000 sq-ft outdoor courtyard
- Basic furniture rental package, which includes tables and chairs for up to 150 guests
- Two wooden mobile bars
- Coat check area and management
- Staging platforms for band, DJ or ceremony needs
- Sound system compatible with all DJ equipment and iPod ready; includes two wireless mics and mic stands for ceremony or speeches
- Projector with optional screen, perfect for a slideshow or film screening
- Heat and A/C, WiFi access
- 500 sq ft food prep area with ice machine, freezer and refrigeration
The following staff are also included at a Green Building wedding:
- A Private Events Manager from contract signing until the day-of your event; this person will be present for all appointments, can assist with room layout, timeline, vendor selection, and more. They will also be on location the day of your event to greet your vendors and assist them in settling in.
- Nighttime manager who is present for the duration of your event to ensure the building stays in tip-top shape throughout the evening.
- Front of the house manager who can assist with coats and gifts, hand out programs, and call car services.
Food and Beverage: While you are able to bring in your own caterer, The Green Building does work with an in-house food/beverage partner, Purslane.
Important Note: While the Green Building allows you to work with any vendor you like, they do work exclusively with Broadway Rentals for any outside event rentals.
Space Type: Inside/Outside
Size: Events at The Green Building can comfortably seat up to 160 guests for dinner with a dance floor. For cocktail parties or standing events, they can accommodate up to 250 guests
Bridal Suite: Yes, many couples (or brides) use the Private Lounge area.
Bathrooms: Four (4) individual, unisex bathrooms, one of which is fully wheelchair-accessible.
Parking: Street parking is available and local valet services can be arranged.
Food Service Type: Depends on your caterer
How Will Grandma Get There? The Green Building is located 9 miles away from Grand Central terminal in Gowanus, Brooklyn. Since out-of-town guests will most likely want to stay in the city, I would recommend arranging a car service or shuttle in lieu of valet (though that is always an option).
Party On! Events can rage on until 2 a.m. Hooray!
The Green Building was built in 1889 and was used primarily as a brass foundry until 1987 (in fact, most of the brass made in the building was used to make gambling tables in the casinos in Atlantic City). The building was acquired and renovated in 2008 by Akiva Reich & Co. and is now used as not only a wedding venue but event space and film location.
Woman Getting Married Says
Some venues just make me swoon, and this is one of them. It’s an amazing space and the packages they offer are simple and well-put together (a venue after my own heart!). If I could have my own wedding venue, this is definitely the direction I would go. It’s got a great outside area (perfect for a wedding ceremony or cocktail hour) and the inside is industrial enough that you could leave it alone, or you could choose to completely transform the space.
While the rental fee is not the most inexpensive, it’s definitely not out of line with what’s in the area and you can save money by bringing in your own caterer. I also think you’re getting a lot in terms of layout and look. If you are interested in having your wedding here I would definitely plan on getting married at least a year out if you want a Saturday wedding (if not longer).