Your wedding doesn’t necessarily have to have a theme—but they can be pretty fun! Think about how you and your spouse met, and some of your favorite things to do together. Could there be a wedding theme in there somewhere that will ensure your guests never forget your big day? Here are 10 fun ideas for wedding themes that are sure to impress.
1. Live in a snowy area? A winter wonderland theme can be gorgeous! Think darker, richer colors, berries in a vase for centerpieces, and snowflake décor. Plush blankets would be a great wedding favor to help keep your guests toasty.
2. If you’re heading to the beach for your wedding, it seems obvious that an under the sea theme would fit your already beautiful setting. Wear your hair in beachy waves a la Ariel and adorn one of these beach wedding dresses to perfect your look. Consider a fun, seaside wedding favor like beach balls or flip flops!
3. If you’re a Potterhead, embrace it with a Harry Potter themed wedding! It’ll definitely be a day your guests will never forget. You can even incorporate Harry Potter in tasteful ways, like using books for centerpieces or offering butterbeer as your signature drink. There are super cool invitation options on Etsy, like these Marauder’s Maps! If you really want to go all out, consider hiring a fortune teller for your cocktail hour—a fun, out-of-the-box activity like that will add a unique touch and keep guests entertained.
4. If you’re one of those people who have been dreaming about your wedding since your kindergarten dream journal, a Cinderella or Snow White wedding might be a great fit for you. Alfred Angelo makes a whole line of princess-inspired dresses, and embracing a color scheme of white and light blues can set the tone. Don glass slippers to complete your look, and offer a pumpkin-inspired dessert!
5. If you’re really feeling the Disney idea, go big or go home with a Disney-inspired wedding at Disney World! Disney offers a variety of wedding packages. Have photos taken in front of Cinderella’s castle, invite Mickey and Minnie to your reception, and arrive in Cinderella’s coach! Disney offers so many options that you can go from all out (think bridesmaids in princess gowns) to subtle, classy touches (Belle’s rose as your head table centerpiece.)
Looking for more inspiration? Check out our favorite non-cheesy Disney wedding ideas here.
6. Sports-themed weddings can actually be elegant affairs. If you and your groom met in an athletics league, use trophies as centerpieces and a fun scorecard layout for a wedding program. When your wedding party is introduced, have them temporarily adorn “Team Bride” and “Team Groom” jerseys to get everyone in a fun, competitive spirit!
7. Jet-setting off to an exotic locale for your honeymoon? Consider a travel themed wedding. Name tables after different locations you and your groom have traveled to, and create postcard-inspired invites. A practical, unique and fun favor? Custom postage stamps!
Better yet, check out these amazing locations for a destination wedding!
8. The Great Gatsby is an American classic that can also make for a glamorous wedding theme. The book is set in the 1920s, so dress your bridesmaids accordingly. Think sparkle and glitz everywhere, from the invitations to the signs at the dessert table, and incorporate some of the best quotes from F. Scott Fitzgerald into your ceremony. Then, throw one heck of a party with jazz-era music and fun flapper accessories for the photobooth.
9. Speaking of books, Pride and Prejudice has inspired a wedding or two as well. For a Victorian-era themed wedding, pick a dress with beautiful lace details and incorporate more vintage décor (candlesticks, soft white or pink florals). Go the extra mile and have your bridesmaids don some classy white gloves to transport your guests back to the 1800s.
10.Carnival themed weddings don’t have to feel childish. For catering, consider a food cart that can make some of your fair faves, like hot dogs, funnel cake and popcorn. Embrace a red-and-white color scheme within your invitations, programs and signs, using fun fonts to emphasize your unique wedding theme. For your photobooth, incorporate props like a clown nose and silly hats. You could even offer simple games like ring toss during cocktail hour. Carnivals have such a nostalgic feel to them; your guests will have a blast noticing all of your details.