Sure, Texas can get hot, but so can the nightlife and the wide array of happenings in this oft-overlooked, bustling town. With plenty to do in some of the best neighborhoods the state has to offer, be sure to catch that signature Texas barbecue, peruse the lively Market Square downtown for proper people watching, and maybe take a rest from all the festivities in one of the gorgeous parks that pepper the town.
When to Go
Best Weather Months: Late fall months through the winter and spring present a more temperate climate in Houston. You may want to be wary of January and February of course, but the months before and after can be refreshing for typically hot Texas.
Worst Weather Months: Summer, from June to August, contains the city’s highest sweltering heat, steamy humidity, and threat of tropical storms, so steer clear should you not wish to have your makeup running down your couture.
How to Get There
Major Airport: Bush Intercontinental Airport Transportation, William P. Hobby Airport
Transportation: Uber and taxis readily available. The Houston metro rail system and bus system offer typical public transit fare while the jitney service, The Wave, offers free transport downtown. Bike share and rental cars are also available.
Best Neighborhoods for Out-of-Town Guests
Midtown: This hip neighborhood is one of the most happening places in Houston, often talked about as the section of Houston that never sleeps. With an exciting vibe, numerous bars and restaurants, and close proximity to downtown, Midtown proves to be exciting fare for guests who not only wish to stay in Houston, but utterly get down.
Downtown: Eclectic, bustling, and bright, you can’t go wrong with Downtown Houston. Art museums, the hottest restaurants, and exciting nightlife lines each street, guaranteed to provide plenty of entertainment and intrigue for guests.
Bellaire: If guests are looking for more of a serene, picturesque getaway, look no further than Bellaire, Houston’s pretty little pocket town that still maintains a close commute to Downtown should you wish to hit the nightlife before cozying up to the charming views.
Best Spot for Wedding Photos
The Discovery Green Park has awesome views of downtown as well as an amazingly unique and colorful art installation by Margo Sawyer called Synchronicity of Color.
Houston, Texas 77010
Discovery Green is open daily (including holidays) from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m. Admission is free.
Where to Get Your Marriage License
Harris County Clerk:
Harris County Civil Courthouse
Houston, TX 77002
Other locations where you can purchase a marriage license include:
- Baytown: 701 W. Baker Road, Baytown (281) 422-0253
- Chimney Rock: 6000 Chimney Rock, Houston (713) 660-7902
- Clay Road: 16715 Clay Road, Houston (281) 859-0685
- Clear Lake: 16603 Buccaneer, Clear Lake (281) 486-7250
- Cypresswood: 6831 Cypresswood Dr., Spring (281) 379-1057
- Humble: 7900 Will Clayton Parkway, Humble (281) 540-1173
- N. Shepherd: 7300 North Shepherd, Houston (713) 697-5193
- Pasadena: 101 S. Richey, Suite D, Pasadena (713) 274-6230
- South Belt: 10851 Scarsdale, Houston (281) 464-0115
Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.- 4:30 at any of the annex offices or the central location.
They accept all major credit cards, cash, personal check (local only with valid Texas ID), money order, cashier’s check, company check and traveler’s checks for payment of marriage license.
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Pay a $72 marriage license fee
- Purchase the license at least 72 hours prior to but no more than 90 days before the date of the ceremony (The 72 hour waiting period is automatically waived for military personnel. However you will need to show your military ID.)
- Bring a valid id such as a drivers license, Id card issued by DPS, valid passport, resident alien card, or other government issued identification.
- No blood test is required
Read more about marriage license requirements.
Local Wedding Vendors
You’ll definitely want to check out these wedding photographers, planners, florists, and more below. While we haven’t worked with all of them, we are definitely fans. (NOTE: These are NOT paid listings!)
Looking for a wedding venue? Check out our a few of our favorite Houston wedding venues.
Chicago Wedding DJs and Bands
Chicago Wedding Caterers
Wedding Hair and Makeup
Wedding Rental Companies