All products featured on Woman Getting Married are independently selected by our editors. However, we may earn affiliate revenue on this article and commission when you buy something. Learn more.
Aside from getting to marry your best friend, another perk of your wedding day is that you get to look—and feel!—more beautiful than ever before. Unless you’re a Kardashian, it’s most likely one of the few times you’ll have a full-on glam squad getting you ready before you slip on that gorgeous dress you spent ages picking out. All day and night, people will be telling you how beautiful you look, and at the end of it all you’ll have amazing pictures that document every smile and kiss. Sounds dreamy, right? It is!
Your wedding makeup artist and hair stylist are two of the vendors that will make those wedding day beauty fairytales you’ve been dreaming about come true, so you’ll want to listen to their advice! Below are a few must-know tips we’ve compiled from hair and makeup artists across the country to help make sure you’re as prepped as possible when it comes to your wedding day beauty routine.
- Trials are an absolute must. Even though it might mean forking over extra cash, you’ll have a much calmer attitude heading into your big day. Trials help your hair and makeup artist be prepared for your wedding by knowing what works and doesn’t work on you, as well as giving you the benefit of time to figure out the exact look you want. Everyone will be much more comfortable on your wedding day if you’ve already met and talked about a game-time plan. Also, take the trials as an opportunity to bring up any insecurities, like if your face turns red when you’re nervous or your hair falls flat every time you style it. Your wedding makeup artist and hair stylist can work with you on solutions for your wedding day so that you’re not worried about those small beauty details.
- Try not to binge on too much alcohol or cake at your rehearsal dinner. It can leave your skin looking dull instead of dewy the next morning! Instead, focus on eating as many fruits and vegetables so you can to give your skin a natural glow.
- You’ve heard it before, and it’s true—styles hold best on day-old hair. Wash and blow-dry your hair for your rehearsal dinner the night before, and your hair will be the perfect texture for an updo the next day. If your hair is less than perfect the morning of, your hairstylist can always use dry shampoo to liven it up.
- Start your skincare routine at least a month before your wedding. Sometimes your skin can have adverse reactions to new products, and the last thing you want is to try a new moisturizer the night before your wedding and wake up with red, blotchy skin. Any facials or treatments should be done at least a week before. The morning of your wedding, make sure your face is washed and well moisturized before your makeup artist arrives.
- Voice your opinion. Your hair and makeup artists are there for you, and they want you to look and feel your best. If you don’t like how something looks, tell them nicely and quickly—nothing is permanent! There’s nothing more awkward than an obviously unhappy bride who feels too bad to give any feedback.
- Be realistic with your expectations. When it comes to your hair, your length matters in a big way for certain fancy updos. When it comes to your wedding makeup, you may want to look like Angelina Jolie, but if you don’t have her coloring, it isn’t going to happen. Photos are helpful, but Pinterest isn’t the be-all and end-all. Embrace your own beauty and don’t hold your glam team to an impossible standard.
- Trust your stylists. If you’ve done your research beforehand and invested time in wedding hair and makeup trials, your stylists should be people that you trust. So although you may not wear much makeup on a day to day basis or your curls are super tight and you’re worried you look like Shirley Temple, your hair and makeup artists have done tons of weddings and know that you need a little extra to look good in photos or that your curls have plenty of time to fall before your ceremony starts. Definitely voice your opinion—see above—but also trust the experts.
Above all else, go into your wedding day with confidence. Your wedding day glam squad wants to bring out your inner beauty and make you feel stunning. Trust them, and remember that the most beautiful brides are the happiest ones! If you keep that in mind, then no matter what, you’ll look gorgeous on your wedding day.