by Woman Getting Married on March 17, 2011
by Woman Getting Married on August 31, 2010
With 7 weeks left until my big day, I’m checking off my “to do” list slowly but surely. Because my list seems to be growing every day, it’s times like these I kinda wish I hired a full-time wedding coordinator. Granted, we have one booked for day-of, but there would be something, err, I don’t know, less painful about having someone simply take this list off my hands right now and say, “Child, sit down and let me take care of this. Don’t worry about a thing!” That coordinator would also have a halo and furry wings, and the ability to levitate (or at least they did in my dream last night.) But, alas, here I am so let’s keep checking things off the list!
As of yesterday all of my bridesmaids had received their Vera Wang dresses. This was not without a hiccup, as somewhere between the time 5 out of 6 bridesmaids ordered them and received them, the Vera Wang website decided to no longer sell bridesmaids dresses online, which left one of my late bridesmaids in the dark as to how to order the dress. Thankfully an upset e-mail to customer service allowed the lonely maid to get her dress in time, but I still have no idea why you can’t order them off the Vera Wang website anymore.
So, since they all got their dresses and they were able to send me pics of the color (they all live in different states so I can’t see them personally), I was able to better determine what color the groomsmen ties should be. Since the bridesmaid dresses are a very light, silver-y grey, I’ve decided to opt for that same color family opposed to using another one of my wedding colors, which is a curry, mustard-y yellow (if I worked for Crayola all the crayon colors would have a -y after them.)
We didn’t want the groomsmen to have to shell out too much money for the ties, so I’ve been on the hunt for a nice silk tie that doesn’t break the bank (and one that comes from a store with a large quantity). So far the best online store I’ve found for ties is Macy’s. Their silk ties range from $39.00-$49.00 and come in a variety of colors. Most of the colors are simple (you won’t find an eggplant or mustard) but they do have pinks, greens, yellows, black, silver, red, etc.
A word of caution: Make sure you explain to your FH exactly what color they need their groomsmen to get. Guys+online shopping= “I thought you wanted the red one!”
by Woman Getting Married on April 22, 2010
I was on the phone with my mom this morning, sorting laundry and putting Future Husband’s button-down work shirts into the dry-cleaning pile when I paused for a minute and asked “Do you dry clean all of Dad’s shirts?” For some reason I’ve been of the school of thought that nice “work” shirts are dry-cleaned. I’ve never given it a second thought.
“Dry clean?” she said, as if introducing a new word into the English language. “No. We have them laundered. You don’t dry clean men’s dress shirts. It would cost a fortune and you’d ruin them after awhile.”
Somebody should have given me a “How to Be Domestic” manual awhile back, because clearly I have no clue what I’m doing. For all you women getting married who are in the same boat, save yourself some money and ask your dry cleaners if they launder shirts. If they do, ask for “light starch.” Or so I’m told.
by Woman Getting Married on February 9, 2010
Back when I was single, Valentine’s Day was all about me. Who’s going to be my date for V-Day? What is he going to get me? Did that gift mean he really, really liked me? Now that I’ve been with my Future Husband (FH) for over two years, Valentine’s Day has become much less important. Sure, we’ll go out to dinner and even exchange a gift or two…but since we’ve been living together, the need to “impress” the other person or the wish to “be impressed” with romance and gifts has dwindled. It’s also become easier to focus on some of the annoying male habits (hello, toilet seat) FH possesses, instead of the amazing ones.
This V-day, I want to do something I don’t do enough: Take a moment to actually appreciate my FH. I don’t want to buy him heart boxers or go for another fancy meal…I just want to take a day to forget about the socks left on the floor, the nail clippings in the bathroom sink, the beard hairs on the floor….and start appreciating all the wonderful things my FH does and realize how truly lucky I am. To do this, I made a list…
Happy V-day FH…let your nail clippings run free! I love you.
The FH Appreciation List
- When I have cramps, he lovingly rubs my belly in the hopes of making them go away.
- –then he’ll drive to the store to get me Advil and tampons.
- When I cook, he always does the dishes.
- When I say something funny, he’ll laugh, look at me and say: “I love you.”
- Before we leave to go out at night, he always says “You look great!”
- He’ll watch Project Runway with me without complaining
- When we’re on a sidewalk, he always walks on the side closest to the cars because “he wants me to be safe.”
- When it’s raining, he drops me off in front of the door.
- He’s generous…with me, with waiters, with his family.
- When my mom calls me for the 10th time that day, he doesn’t get annoyed.
- When I do the laundry, he actually THANKS me.
- When I’m having a work, family, or hormone crisis, he always asks “Is there anything I can to do help?”
- When the alarm goes off in the morning, he’s always gets up to turn it off.
To be continued…
As a newly engaged writer, I had a hard time finding the practical information I needed to plan my wedding. While the wedding books, magazines, and websites I read had pretty pictures, they seemed to just skim the surface when it came to providing helpful ways for me to create the wedding of my dreams. Now that I'm married, I hope this blog serves as a resource for all you other bride-to-be's, with unique ideas for wedding venues, wedding decorations, wedding dresses, and more!
Have a question, thought, or opinion?
Like Us On FacebookBy: Rashid Azar
Follow @WGettingMarried on Twitter
Wedding Planning Help
- Ceremony/Reception Decor
- Dream Dresses
- To-Do List
- Vintage Wedding Ideas
- Wedding Planning
- Wedding Venues
- Review: The Best Wedding Photo Printers April 11, 2011
- What Things SHOULD Cost: Hair/Makeup August 10, 2010
- Wedding Dress Designer: Atelier Aimée July 11, 2010
- How Much My Wedding Cost + Real Weddings April 25, 2011
- Registry Offender April 8, 2010
- Daily Registry: Schott Zwiesel Glasses May 20, 2013
- Wedding Music + Wedding Song of the Week: I’m a Man May 13, 2013
- Weird Wedding Dress Codes: A Guide May 13, 2013
- Groom Gift: Mantry May 12, 2013
- Daily Registry: Clean Slate May 7, 2013
- Coach Zoe Patent Leather Convertible Indigo Blue Handbag: [...] Patent LeatherMulberry Bags Clutch Daria Pur...
- Woman Getting Married: Hi Vic! It\'s supposed to be Cartier, but I haven\...
- Wedding Planners India: Thanks for sharing such post, enjoy this post....
- Reception Decor: Composer Busts | Woman Getting Married: [...] talked about my love (obsession?) for Beetho...
- Honeymoon Idea: Nashville | Woman Getting Married: [...] duck and chestnut ravioli with seared diver ...
- Best Bridal Boutiques
- Budget Weddings
- Destination Weddings
- Engagement/Wedding Rings
- For the Groom
- Groom Gifts
- Home Design/Tips
- Inspiration Boards
- Just for Fun
- Real Weddings
- Recipes for Two
- Sex and Relationships
- Vintage Wedding Ideas
- Wedding Beauty
- Wedding Contests
- Wedding Dilemmas
- Wedding Dresses
- Wedding Etiquette
- Wedding Experts
- Wedding Favors
- Wedding Flowers
- Wedding Hairstyles
- Wedding Invitations
- Wedding Jewelry
- Wedding Makeup
- Wedding Music
- wedding photographers
- Wedding Planning
- Wedding Q&A
- Wedding Registry
- Wedding Shoes
- wedding veils
- Wedding Venues
- wedding videos
- Wedding Workouts