Back when I was single, Valentine’s Day was all about me. Who’s going to be my date for V-Day? What is he going to get me? Did that gift mean he really, really liked me? Now that I’ve been with my Future Husband (FH) for over two years, Valentine’s Day has become much less important. Sure, we’ll go out to dinner and even exchange a gift or two…but since we’ve been living together, the need to “impress” the other person or the wish to “be impressed” with romance and gifts has dwindled. It’s also become easier to focus on some of the annoying male habits (hello, toilet seat) FH possesses, instead of the amazing ones.
This V-day, I want to do something I don’t do enough: Take a moment to actually appreciate my FH. I don’t want to buy him heart boxers or go for another fancy meal…I just want to take a day to forget about the socks left on the floor, the nail clippings in the bathroom sink, the beard hairs on the floor….and start appreciating all the wonderful things my FH does and realize how truly lucky I am. To do this, I made a list…
Happy V-day FH…let your nail clippings run free! I love you.
The FH Appreciation List
- When I have cramps, he lovingly rubs my belly in the hopes of making them go away.
- –then he’ll drive to the store to get me Advil and tampons.
- When I cook, he always does the dishes.
- When I say something funny, he’ll laugh, look at me and say: “I love you.”
- Before we leave to go out at night, he always says “You look great!”
- He’ll watch Project Runway with me without complaining
- When we’re on a sidewalk, he always walks on the side closest to the cars because “he wants me to be safe.”
- When it’s raining, he drops me off in front of the door.
- He’s generous…with me, with waiters, with his family.
- When my mom calls me for the 10th time that day, he doesn’t get annoyed.
- When I do the laundry, he actually THANKS me.
- When I’m having a work, family, or hormone crisis, he always asks “Is there anything I can to do help?”
- When the alarm goes off in the morning, he’s always gets up to turn it off.
To be continued…